Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Joey in Braids


One of the things I am working on with Joey is picking up the correct lead.  I usually trust my seat, but I sometimes need the visual "look down" at his shoulder to make sure what I am FEELING is what is actually happening.  And Joey's mane is thick and long, and drapes to the right, so the very lead direction he has trouble with and the one I most need my eyes for, is often obscured.  Hence, the need for braids.

It helped a bunch.  I was able to quickly glance down and confirm that there were times when my seat told me he was in the left lead going to the right (wrong lead).  I was able to bring him down to the trot and re-try the correct lead departure with much more success and immediate feedback to him.  And by the end of our session, we were both picking it up better.

He gave me a very slow canter to the left yesterday evening (his dominant lead).  I think he is getting in better shape, and this is showing in a slower canter that requires better strength.  Also, he is reacting less and thinking more.  This is the moment I live for in a horse, the moment when we can learn new things instead of just being in survival mode.  It's taken about 7 rides over the last 14 days, but his head is in a better place, and I feel us making strides in the right direction.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds very good indeed, and I like the mane-braiding trick . . .