Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Green grass...



I had a busy weekend, and no time to muck stalls and feed, so I turned the horses out to the front pasture and let them eat some of the new, green grass growing there.  I figured, "Why waste the nutrition, and I'd just have to mow anyway?".  Well, all their body conditioning went to heck in a hand-basket just like that.  They had 3 days at the all you can eat buffet, and it shows.   They're still nice and shiny, but they're walking around with grass bellies and an extra layer of fat over their ribs.

I had no idea that just 3 days of green grass would turn them into "sumo" horses.  There WILL be extra round penning...

The pics are of "Woody", the biggest pig of the bunch.  I don't think he picked his head up from the grass in 3 days.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Woody's an all you can eat kind of guy.

Canyon got a grass belly from being out just one day. I thought salads were slimming.

I suspect once you can ride again, no amount of grazing will really stick.

Trailrider said...

Woody got into the barn, managed to open the garbage can lid, ripped up the sweet feed bag, and ate the 2-3 pounds of sweet feed that were in the bag. That could have been very dangerous, had there been a full bag of sweet feed. He is definitely a pig, and he watches that garbage can anytime anyone goes near it. We hope that James just forgot to close the door in the morning after feeding, but Woody may have found a way to open the barn doors!